Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Re-thinking the system



   The system is running well. There are some changes that are needed but are difficult to implement.
   Roof-top installations are the most popular now, but also the most inefficient. I opted for a single axis, sun tracking, ground mounted system. The most efficient is the two-axis tracking system. The hardware needed is being made, just not for consumers (complaint).
   Due to the lack of adequate hardware support by the industry, I've had to innovate my own single axis tracker. There are limitations in the range of movement in the panels. This can be increased by raising the system off the ground and/or adding a linear actuator with a longer reach.

   My current system uses one inch galvanized steel pipe as a mounting axis. Two rows of three panels each are mounted, one above the other. The pipe comes in ten foot lengths. The pipe is tilted at an optimum forty-five degrees, for this latitude. This creates a classic Pythagorean Isosceles  triangle.
The pipe forms the hypotenuse of the triangle. If I extend the length of the pie by adding a short segment to the bottom, one of the angles will change. To maintain the proportions, I will also have to raise the upper end of the pipe, and possibly add a similar short segment to the top end.

   I added a vertical ten foot section of strut to the left side to stabilise the upper and lower rows of panels. I need to add another to the left side.

   In thinking this over, I realize I could extend those struts and add at least one more row of panels to the top.

Of course, adding all this extra weight means I may need to replace the one inch pipe with a two inch pipe.

   I also consider adding a two foot extension to the bottom of the pipe.

   After all this, I'm reconsidering the use of concrete placed rectangular steel tubing along with fixtures to make a dual-axis tracker. The model for this is a unit on YouTube from a Chinese company. I have to consider whether the model is scalable, i.e. whether a larger model will hold more panels safely and scurely. Needless to say, cost is still a factor.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home