Sunday, March 8, 2020

Backup everything

This post deals with an mportant topic: backups.

All equipment will eventually breakdown.

The only solution is to keep some sort of backup system in stock.
In my case, the current backup is a lower powered version of the present system. This will do until I get something with more power. The current backup will run my light and stereo, provided I don't play the stereo too loud.

I have spare cables and conectors for the solar station.
I have a 300w inverter and a 60A PWM controller.
Panels are not likely to go out or bad for over twenty years. Uless falling tree branches or speeding automobiles are an issue, there's no need for a full backup of panels, though one or two spare panels would be convenient.

If a component goes bad or is damaged beyond repair, I count on at least a week for a replacement to arrive. As an electronic engineering technician, I keep test and repair equipment on hand. I even have backups for those.

My batteries run about $150 each. My inverter runs $150-$250. The controller runs around $150.
If a cloudy day or two occur, I have a quiet 2000w gasoline generator that runs my system and charges the batteries, using an automobile battery charger. The batteries are marine grade dep discharge type.

Using a backup system as emergwncy aid is a good idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home