Friday, June 14, 2024

Inverter/generator disaster.

 A couple of months ago, I was using the generator alone, with some electrical tools and disconnected from the house. The Predator 2000 was running as usual when I heard a loud slapping-banging noise.

I ran as fast as I could to turn the thing off. By the time I reached the generator, the noise had gotten louder and a thrashing noise had started. I turned off the machine and the engine chugged to a slow stop.

The coiled spring-loaded strap in the recoil starter assembly had come loose and damaged the motor and surrounding space. I ordered a new rope starter assembly and a new ignitor. I installed the parts and decided to adjust the valves while I was at it.

The unit did not start. The compression has improved but there's no spark getting to the cylinder as far as I can tell. There is one other part that may solve the problem: the ignition coil.

Now, Harbor Freight calls an 'ignitor', what most would call the 'ignition coil'. And calls an 'ignition coil' what most might call a 'pick-up coil' or 'sensor coil' mounted deep inside the generator. Their 'ignitor' is mounted outside and on the motor housing and plugs onto the spark plug electrode, as in a car.

My guess is the machine will run if I replace that part they refewr to as the 'ingnition coil.'

I've been in no hurry since, as quiet as the generator is, I enjoy the silence and zero gasoliine costs I save by not running the thing daily. But, I will evetually need to get the unit running for Winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home