Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Mathematical equations and charting


Some things have happened since the last post.

   I found an equation for the irradiation on a solar panel. The equation takes into account air mass, refraction and the curvature of the earth's surface. I translated the math into the Python programming language I've been using and now collect that data along with the rest.
   By adding historical data in the form of averages, I can make a reasonable prediction of the amount of irradiation on a clear day.
   I located an extensive set of equations for determining the position of the sun. They are from the NOAA SPA set. I'm translating the Excel format of the equations into the Python format. I've been using a ephemeris programming library to do those calculations but decided to do them myself as an exersize.
   I used a cellphone to record shadow activity in the back yard. I studied the results and moved the array to a new location. Half of my solar day was lost to shading by trees on an adjacent lot. There's some shading in the new spot, but not quite as much. I will move the array to an area with the maximum exposure after adding some wire to the station. I need to add another fifteen to twenty feet to the line from my house to the array.
   I've redesigned the station and am going to add a linear actuator and PWM power supply. I'm going to split the array up. Three panels will be mounted on a steel pipe tilted at an optimum 45 degree angle. The actuator will rotate the array by rotating the pole on which they are mounted. I will double the amount of energy I collect using the shade-free site and one-dimensional tracking using the linear actuator.
   Two panels will be used as an adjunct. The manufacturer of the MPPT controller I've been using states the charger is limited to charging batteries unless in the float stage. Only then can excess be bled off into a real-time system, e.g. laptop, web router and modem, coffee grinder, pumps, etc.. The manufacturer of the MPPT controller has set the maximum charge rate for the bank at a level equal to the energy supplied by only three panels.
   I have an older Xantrex PWM charger/controller That will supply ongoing needs while the 36VDC system's primary function remains charging the 5KW battery bank. I'll add a couple of smaller (8AHr) batteries to stabilize the Xantrex output. Those batteries will act as capacitors to filter the PWM output of the Xantrex. The Xantrex takes a 24VDC input. That leaves one 12VDC panel which will be used to run12VDC devices such as the 12VDC battery charger for a 18VDC reciprocating saw battery.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home